Sunday, November 20, 2011

Piano Man

When I was in high school I had to sing in the rugby choir. I don't know why we had a rugby choir but I think it might have been some sort of punishment for people in the rugby team beating up people in the choir. I think we had two songs in our repertoire - Waltzing Matilda and Billy Joel's Piano Man.

There is a lyric in that song which has me a little flummoxed.

Paul is a real estate novelist who never had time for a wife.

What the hell is a real estate novelist? I spend my whole life writing about real estate but the most you will get out of me is a few hundred words on a luxury waterfront or a news article on the state of the market. How do you do a whole novel and what on earth happens in a real estate novel? Once you've built a house it pretty much just stands there for the next couple hundred years. It just doesn't sound like a very interesting plot for a book.

Why doesn't Paul have time for a wife? Is that a euphemism for Paul being gay? I mean he is talking to Davy who's still in the navy and probably will be for life. Perhaps Paul is just really dedicated to his real estate novel writing and doesn't want to a waste a spare minute with some wife looking for keys in her handbag, fussing about home improvements or babbling on about something unrelated to his key interest of real estate.

Maybe I need to send Billy Joel a letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment