Thursday, February 25, 2010

Awesome Church

I was driving through Haberfield the other day and noticed the "Awesome Church". With such a bold piece of branding it seemed like it might be way more awesome than the Catholic Church or the Church of England. While already feeling spiritually fulfilled I was intrigued and checked out their website. Turns out they have a really fancy one. They also have their own TV shows and something called Divine Health.

The minister spruiking Divine Health doesn't give it the most ringing endorsement however. This is his thinking - "In hundreds of church services over the years I have seen thousands of believers come forward to receive healing prayer. An honest assessment of the results? Some have been healed; the majority have not been healed. Many times I have asked, why is this?

I'll tell you why. God, if he does indeed exist, just isn't listening to some bullshit "awesome" church. If you want to be healed you should go to a doctor. Failing that you might consider Chinese medicine. If you must start praying you should do it in some frigid church with terrible organ music, flat singing and rock hard pews. Once you've endured that for fifty years maybe then you can consider asking if the big guy will do you a favour. If you've been listening to Christian rock in the plush air-conditioned comfort of some slick marketer's idea of a church, I just don't think you've earned the right.

I'm sure the Awesome Church makes heaps of money. I think I might start up the Toally Ace Church and maybe even a Fully Sick Church in Sydney's south west.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm a member of Awesome Church and am sorry (genuinely) that the name of our church annoyed you. The church is named so because there is a verse in genesis that speaks about God meeting with a man and after the experience the man says "How awesome is this place, it is none other than the house of God". For many people church is actually a pretty awesome place. But I don't mean to go on about something you aren't likely interested in. At any rate, I appreciate your time taken to visit our website and wish you all the best in life and with your blog. Cheers. ps we don't have air conditioning :-)

    ReplyDelete