Thursday, January 31, 2013

Too much time?

I hate it when people say "you've got way too much time on your hands". This phrase always pops out whenever someone dares to do something creative. I read it today in a SMH report about some guy who had cut up Lance Armstrong's interview and put it to Radiohead's Creep. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee1kM79f6aY

This video will entertain millions of people. How is creating it a bad use of time?

Doing things which are fun and frivolous is a brilliant use of time. It should be recommended. It's why we invented all those time saving devices - not so we could spend extra hours at work doing something we find dreadfully tedious.

I've got time for all sorts of weird and wonderful crap. Things I don't have time for include:

  • washing my car more than about 3 times a year
  • going out for breakfast (a more in-depth rant about this can be found here).
  • ironing - unless it's a wedding or something
  • going anywhere in peak hour traffic
  • watching soccer, AFL or horse racing
  • going to Bunnings
The fact is when people say "you've got way too much time on your hands" they are normally really saying "I work fifty hours a week and waste another ten hours stuck in traffic to pay for this overpriced dwelling to house the children that take up the few remaining hours available to me when I am not at Bunnings try to find some thing to fix some stupid thing that I have no idea how to fucking fix - oh and I just wasted another two hours and $80 at breakfast. I wish I had time to do something other than just collapse in front of the TV, completely rooted from all this! I am ridiculously jealous."   



No comments:

Post a Comment